Tuesday 16 August 2011

TV & Book Review: Game of Thrones



Well, as a bit of a backwards person, I watched the HBO series first then began to read the books!! Well I need to make a little post here just to put out into the Bloggosphere out there that I am a huge fan!


Medieval fantasy at its best with great characters, a onderfully convincing fictional world full of gods, politics, culture and society that doesn't bore you to see or read about...


George R. R. Martin has made a truly fantastic piece of fiction. And some of the best characters to date...


Ayra- the youngest daughter of the House of Stark from the Northern town of Winterfell... a tomboy with such resilience. It is nice to see a female character in a fantasy novel with some gumption. To young to be made into a sex object which can happen a lot in the fantasy genre and this series is not without its sexualised overtones that can dominate some parts, she is the perfect age to come into her own and be herself. Daenerys is older and is more sexualised but comes to override the constraints that has put on her and shows a determined if flawed resilience of her own.

I love Ned Stark's bastard son, Jon Snow- he is a lush to look at and is a nice character full of torment and trying to prove his worth. I also love the bad-ass Tyrion, the dwarf of the Lannister family- enemies against the Stark family... he is both a hateful and endearing character... He is cleaver, hated by other characters, yet keeps proving his resourcefulness and worthiness not to be shunned for his disabilty which is constantly used to mock him!


So my tip is watch, read and enjoy for a complete transporting experience into a world of make-believe!!

2 comments:

Ulysses Gray said...

Yes yes, totally agree, I love the book and they did an excellent job of bringing it to the small screen. I'm surprised how much effort has been put into a complex fantasy with very few overt fantastical elements, but I'm glad they did.
I wish they'd give A Wizard of Earthsea the same treatment, although it doesn't lend itself very well to a TV series :(

The Not-so-Spotless Mind said...

YES! Thank you for helping me find the books :) I will be forever grateful!!! LOL

It was an amazingly easy transfer to screen (or so it seemed) and as much as I love A Wizard of Earthsea... I wonder like you... whether it would suffer in the transition into tv/movie...
A shame nonetheless though....