Tuesday 16 December 2008

Country House Rescue







Howdy folks!!

I was just having a quiet evening before the week of traditional Christmas overindulgence, and I was watching this programme on Channel 4 'Country House Rescue'. Now then, I love this lady who goes in here and pulls these little posh oiks, who have the self-discipline, common sense (ok granted I am not well-endowed in this myself!) and hedonistic attitude. Now this guy who has recently inherited Elmore Court in the Cotswolds, one Anselm Guise, with a family tree as long and as old as the establishment of England itself! Ruth Watson, this posh but rather surprisingly profanity-issuer, advises this 30-year-old-something DJ how to "diversify and raise revenue to secure his future". I got the impression that his parents had left him to sort it out himself in the hope it might make him grow up and take on some serious responsibility! I guess it worked, he set up a cookery school within his house complete with accommodation in the grand Tudor rooms. He pulled his socks up and made it a success.

It just made me glad to see these half-aristicratic heirs to historical heirlooms can a) take over the history and commitment the house needed and b) also showed the upper class brats being pulled up by their boot straps rather than just working class/middle class kids with programmes such as Lad's Army etc, etc, etc!

Very good programme though- plus some seriously nice old stuff!! haha technical term that for us historians! Gawd if only I could get my hands on that house! The wonder it could become.... but to be fair, there was no money to do anything. A sad state of English culture and heritage eh?
(btw- the photo on the left- this sewing box was sold for £4000!! It was lovely! I wouldn't have sold it!! It was far too nice!! The middle photo is of Elmore Court itself and the last photo is the state the kitchen was in!! Eeeep!!)

No comments: