Sunday 8 March 2009

Fire and Ice by Robert Frost


Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.


This poem was in Stephanie Meyer's 'Eclipse' and it got me thinking. She used his ideas very well in her characterisation. Bella loves both Edward (Vampire and cold, often described as ice) and Jake (a werewolf and hot, often described as on fire). In the end both of these sides (vampires vs werewolves) come together and save their world. So, I am thinking Fire is desire and Ice is hate. Is the poem supposed to be interpreted as literally the world ending? Because fire suggests that the passions, the fever and fevour of war perhaps will destroy the world, whilst hate which stimulates apathy means we will destroy each other without thought. So are they supposed to work together or separately? If separately, which one will cause man's downfall?





Lovely poem...





No comments: