Wednesday 16 July 2008

How things change... and faster than I thought!



SJ AND ME
ME, BRADDERS AND JENAH
HATTY, ME, JENNY BURT, JENAH, SJ, RACHEL, NATALIE, BRADDERS... THE BALL...
ZARA, KIRSTY AND LEANNE

ZARA, JENAH, KIRSTY, ME, SJ, HATTY... BEACH AT TORREMOLINOS

TOM, CLAIRE, ME AND LIZ

HATTY, SJ, LEANNE, ZARA BEFORE THE DRUNKEN NIGHT!


So, university will be officially declared over on Friday as I don the regulatory mortar board, robe and hood and walk up the steps to receive my degree. Sad really. All it takes is a probable hand shake, an acceptance of a piece of paper and an exeunt then the best three years of my life are over. They have not been smooth sailing for sure, but they have made me. I am a confident young woman, probably too confident, but a damn sure better than the trampled youth of school, beleagured by bullies and friends alike, though of course in two totally different ways. Still, it is the end. And already I fear friendships are breaking up. Saying goodbye is something I hate but I am wondering whether, if we were to drift apart, it is better to draw the line somewhere and pinpoint the moment when contact failed rather than let it peter out...



hum... I am still deciding. I have got an entire day off tomorrow to ponder the situation, probably talk it over with a mate I am meeting tomorrow night in a pub- much drunken ramblings to ensue I would imagine-and then settle down, grit my teeth and finish off what I set out to do. The void however is unfulfilled. Many of my friends say I have a job, what more do i need at the moment? Indeed this is true (especially since many do not have a job at all), but the fact that I could earn more money in Tescos on the checkout than I do working where I am is depressing, but in truth I would love to stay where I am!! I enjoy it! History and people combined. 'Tis ideal! The idea of working in an archive, although I would love it in its own way, would kill me slowly. I need people and to enthuse them... some say teaching, but I am not entirely sure that that isn't another form of slow death either. Never mind, I have until October and further if I need it, but my own deadline is October... anyways getting back to times gone by and things lost...






Sad times... just want to upload to photos of me and my uni gals enjoying what was our last term together...

2 comments:

Old Fogey said...

Good and upbeat. But you're right about the end of University life. It is so abrupt and sudden. It can be brutal. All those friends disapearing, so that for those who stay on, to do research or further degree, it's not quite the same, as most of the people you knew are elsewhere finding their feet in the world. And then there is the new student intake - suddenly the University belongs to someone else. I guess if you are looking to stay on to do further study after graduation you might try to look at it as a 'career option' with its pros and cons - and the ultimate charm of being able, for a while at least, to be doing something you actually might want to do. But you can't recapture what you've had over the last three years. You'll have to let them go. And then you can really keep it in your memory as 'the best days of your life'.

Super photos.

The Not-so-Spotless Mind said...

hear, hear :)

I agree; Thanks!