Sunday 3 August 2008

To Be or Not to Be: The Argument for Fat and Thin...

Ok this is getting really silly now. I am truly annoyed. Ok, fine, whatever, I am a slightly overweight girl, but I have an axe to grind for all women and indeed all men as far as the size debate rages.

I heard on BBC news yesterday morning that the hourglass figure is disappearing due to overweight women and obesity ravanging the country. Last week, it was pre-teenage girls acting as sexual beauty queens that were parading on our tv screens. Now tell me folks, what is our actual argument on the matter?

We rage that our youth of today are lost to rolls of fat, calorie filled diets and minimal exercise routines combined and gun-and-knife wielding yobs at that; females have apparently lost the sex appeal because we no longer have the hourglass appeal that Marilyn Monroe had. (I would like to add that in fact Marilyn Monroe was called 'fat' in her hay-day).

Now please tell me, what is the problem? Are we too fat? Or are we obsessed with the size zero fad? Either way, our media does not know and neither does it seem to side either way, but the average people of Britain are left to decide and are swayed every day on what this 'media publicity' says on the matter. So indeed the question left to answer is....

To Be or Not To Be... Fat that is.... well, I guess, it is up to us to decide and sod the nutritionists, dieticians, etc. Eat sensibly, exercise and sod the rest. We are who we are. The more we discuss it the more the argument is open to debate and questioning. I say To Be Or rather Not To Be a Media Babe Size Zero is my choice, what is yours?

2 comments:

Old Fogey said...

NSS - difficult issue, full of contradictions. How to feel comfortable about yourself, and minimise guilt.I think the Size Zero ideology is at the root of it. By that measure unless you're a super fit sportsman or walking about famished all day you're bound to be 'overweight'. I like my daughter's attitude. On the day she goes to Weightwatchers to get weighed, she eats nothing and shows half a pound weight loss - to celebrate she has fish and chips on the way home.
Best wishes
OF

The Not-so-Spotless Mind said...

heehee I like Mary's attitude greatly! I got far too much chocolate at my birthday to be healthy and too rude to eat it :D XX