Thursday 2 October 2008

For the Young

I keep asking
"For the things I desire,
You tell me I'm selfish
And "playing with fire"-
It is hard to believe
I am selfish and vain,
My desires seem so real
And my needs seem so sane,
And yet You are wiser..."

This poem attracted me. My penultimate blog is an exact example of this... I am indeed selfish, but thankfully as it is a blog I shan't take it so seriously. However, just something to remind me that my woes and wishes, and desires and dreads are relatively minor. This is a prayer/poem. Insert where I wrote "I keep asking"- "Dear God, I keep praying..." How funny that it struck almost as if someone had punched me on the nose. It made me feel bad. Then I remembered i didn't necessarily believe in this and settled into an awkward feeling somewhat placated by a defensive mechanism that blocks religious turmoil within.

Again another belated teenage angst issue on the question of God that has beleaguered the philosophers for decades, generations and centuries, and by no means do I believe that I can find the answer to which many others have tried... did they fail or succeed I suspect should be left to another blog! I am certainly in no mood to philosophise today!

Poem entitled "A Prayer for the Young and Lovely" by Helen Steiner Rice, "Heart Gifts". At least she thinks our selfishness is "lovely" :D

2 comments:

Old Fogey said...

Children need to be selfish, so as not to wither. Parents need to educate them as well as nourish them. Properly brought up they learn that their selfishness is not the only thing in the world, and setting aside some of is is necessary to get along with others. That's why parents (who are supposed to know better) may chastise their children for selfishness, just to knock some of the edges off it.
OF

The Not-so-Spotless Mind said...

aha, the wise words of a parent. XxX