Friday 24 October 2008

Regressing to childhood... Reading Children's Books

Reading Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Little Princess and The Secret Garden not so long ago alongside Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories was great! Prompted by OF's blog on authors I feel comfortable with I thought about Burnett's books, which, having just read, was on my mind.

It was comforting and reminded me of being a child. I also re-read Harry Potter recently as I blogged about... sadly that was not really in my childhood; more my teenage years. However, the point I am trying very inarticulately to get to is: DIG OUT OLD CHILDHOOD FAVOURITES and give them a re-read! It is the most comforting thing in the world...

It has all the basics of a good plot, needs little thought and great characters = mega enjoyment and full relaxation!

5 comments:

? said...

Sounds like a great idea. I must confess...I do this every now and again.

Old Fogey said...

NSS - Have you seen the films of the Little Princess and the Secret Garden? Both excellent, particularly the latter. I find I like watching children's films. Have you ever seen Mr Boogedy? Brilliant. Or Tom's Midnight Garden? Or those childrens foundation films they made in the 80s? Which I watched with my children.
OF

The Not-so-Spotless Mind said...

I have seen and got both of the films- The Secret Garden is the better for certain. The film The Little princess is very American and really deviates from the plot in areas! I like watching childrens films, and mum can't really understand how I can still enjoy films like Disney!
I have seen Tom's Midnight Garden, which was ace. However, I am not entirely certain which foundation films you mean I am afraid! But I probably have seen some of them!

Can Bass 1 said...

My particular favourite is 'Now We Are Six'.

The Not-so-Spotless Mind said...

Can Bass 1- woo, never read that one... I think a possible Xmas read!