Friday 24 October 2008

Taking a leaf out of OF's blog, I am going to continue his game.

Here are is his instructions: "Here’s a game I've been playing. Take no more than ten minutes. Write down two lists, one of ten authors whose books you feel at home with and the other of ten authors you don’t. Write the names down as they hit you, without too much reflection. Be honest – don’t include authors you think you ought to like/dislike."

Authors I Feel Comfortable With:

Elizabeth Gaskell
Daphne Du Maurier
Erica James
Jane Austen
Anne Bronte
J K Rowling
Dan Brown
Mauve Binchey
Margaret Atwood
Frances Hodgson Burnett
(wish the list could go on!!)

Authors I Feel Uncomfortable With:
Ian McEwan
Charles Dickens
J R R Tolkien
Daniel Defoe
Emily Bronte
Sebastian Faulks
John Steinbeck
George Orwell
Stephen King
Wilbur Smith

The reason feel uncomfortable with those I have mentioned is not to say they aren't any good, but I did not enjoy them in the sense that I would willingly pick them up again and re-read them for COMFORT. George Orwell was a genius, but his ideas can be overwhelming and make you feel naff as a human being for our inherent flaws. Faulks... his writing style just made me cringe (see my other blog here), etc, etc.

For the ones I feel comfortable with, you will see them sitting in pride of place on my bookshelf well thumbed on my shelves.

3 comments:

? said...

I'll check out OF's blog...

Old Fogey said...

NSS - some of your uncomfortables would be uncomfortable for me too - Tolkien in particular - vastly overrated. And you needn't stop you can always do it a second time - I did another ten minute's worth the other day and have that ready, which I'll post shortly.
I remember reading the first chapter of Daphne Du Maurier's Frenchman's Creek, which I thought was brilliant - but I couldn't read another chapter. What am I doing wrong?
OF

The Not-so-Spotless Mind said...

Hum, I don't know. I think for the first few chapters you do find yourself having to plough through it till you are hooked on the plot. Brilliant writer for sure and great first chapters in most of her books, but there is an element of you could just read a chapter and leave it. It is the plot I think you have to find before you can really settle into her. I am not sure why I feel comfortable with her, especially considering the effort you have to put it in the beginning. Once you are into the plot, you find yourself reading for pleasure and intrigue and interest and comfort. Give it another go if you have the energy to put into it at first!!