Tuesday 20 January 2009

I have forgotten one of my resolutions already...

On flicking back through my posts recently, I realised that I had not stuck to my NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION to learn something new. So here it goes. Instead of things I have learnt each day, here are twenty things (to represent 20days) I have learnt recently...

1) On sibling rivalry: This is not restricted or limited to me and my brother. It is nice to know that although you get on so well, you can still bicker and get annoyed with them and it is ok, and you can still be friends. AND you don't need to know everything about them. Something i always feel very guilty about. I needn't, but I perhaps should make a more concerted effort.

2) I learnt how to parallel park and not mount the curb.

3) Masters are bloody hard to apply for and have far too much paperwork. But on the other hand, if it is worth doing, it is worth taking the time over.

4) That my ex-lecturer is pregnant and still remembers me (I asked her for a reference for my Masters!)

5) That Thomas Wolsey, later Cardinal Wolsey in Henry VIII's time, built Hampton Court and gave it to Henry as a gift. Nice gesture.

6) Henry VIII was married to Anne Boleyn for 3years. I thought it was longer. Apparently she pissed him off sooner than I imagined...

7) For more Henry related facts: Catherine Parr was only married to him for a year as an intellectual companion and a year after she married him, he died and a year later after marrying John Seymour (I think it was) who was said to be the love of her life, died.

8) The Alexander Technique= ??? still a mystery but I learnt it :)

9) I am still emotionally available apparently! I thought I was going to remain celibate forever, but I think I may have found my lust again! YAY! This is good news by the way folks haha! I thought I was cold and lofty. Now I know how nuns live, I know I can survive... I feel a rendition of "I will survive" right about now!

10) I can emergency evacuate a disabled person down stairs now using a fancy chair thing.

11) Essex University's History Department is apparently second in the nation in its historical research! haha! And I learnt there! Up yours posh places.... Not that I am bitter!

12) Charles Dickens had a secret mistress and she lived in Slough for a short while.

13) On a similar note, Slough has a record office... I see work experience/future employment there??? Possibilities...

14) That spiders been given LSD make more symmetrical and better webs than those on caffeine, the human world's biggest drug, used daily. What does that say about our daily work? Go QI!

15) On a similar note on the creature world... let's call it our creature feature... snakes don't respond to the music snake charmers make, but the snake charmer's body actions. Although snakes do have the ability to hear (despite popular belief), they are not charmed by this music.

16) I did not realise the song from Moulin Rouge *one of my all time favourites* called The Show Must Go On was by Queen. I should have known since all the songs from Moulin Rouge are spoof-like/rougey-copies of very popular songs such as Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nivana and various Beatles songs *shakes head in shame*. But on the plus side, I was very excited on hearing it at the theatre on seeing "We Will Rock You"!! I was singing along a lot! :) And now has surpassed the Moulin Rouge version for me!!

17) And subsequently, I did not know that Freddie Mercury was called Farrokh Bulsara originally and came from Zanzibar, his parents originally from British India. So there we go... Queen suffering somewhat from overkill in our house at the moment through the greatness of firstly their music of course, and also the hit west end show- aMAzing!! In the words of Craig Revel Horwood or whatever his name is off Strictly Come Dancing!

18) That the Disney film, The Sword In The Stone, was actually a book. Well, I think I did, because i found it on a list I made of books to read *oh yes I am that cool*. Well, I found it in my Oxfam bookshop and have read it. It is BLOODY BRILLIANT!! It is better than the film *of course* and its anachronistically funny, has historically references to the time it was written eg. comments like "the bloody reds" "the Bolsheviks" etc! Great, great!! Merlyn is an ace character to and really shows human interaction of Wart the young boy, with Kay (an older brother-like figure and semi-bully). The J K Rowling of the early 20th century!

19) Entspann Dich = Relax (I am trying to pick up a little German, most of which I have seemed to forgotten in fours years...) Auf bitchen- to get tarted up for a party apparently...

20) Redest du mit mir? What are you looking at?
Mach den kopf zu! = Shut up.... not quite as short and sharp as English...

2 comments:

Colette said...

You can evacuate someone with one of those chairs?!! IMMENSE!!!

The Not-so-Spotless Mind said...

haha yeah apparently! It was immense and it was chris t training us so it was alright... I nearly did let Sheila go flying- i have no upper body strength! haha