Tuesday 11 August 2009

The Humorous and True Story of Beryl the Breakdown

Beryl is my car. I love my car and I keep her clean and well stocked with sweets and cool tunes. I give friends lift in her, I pop to the shops for Mam in her and I like driving myself to work. I make her go fast and I make her go slow, I take her round corners in fourth gear (okay, okay so maybe that wasn't a great idea) and I forget to take my handbrake off on hill starts... but otherwise she is a very well looked after lil automobile and leads a happy existence.

However.

One Thursday night whilst travelling to a pub in Iver with travelling companion JR, the rain lashed down and the windscreen wipers whooshed back and forth in a blur. We were traversing down some windy rural roads when Beryl hits some pretty big puddles and I think "ARGH". But she lives. An hour later on winding our way to another pub following some other school mates, Beryl dies on a corner of a road in a place with fields all around with no lights.

JR, who I promised a lift to had to go out in said lashing rain and heave/push/ stagger against/ generally curse at the car to get into a pub car park. On sitting back in the car again, drenched and less than amused. Well, OK, this is JR. He was cool about it and more worried about the car. We thought it may have been the puddles and all. Sean came out and we tried "roll starting it". To be honest they could have done with a better and more experienced driver and some street lights to help the matter. (I didn't know what a roll start was.) This was interesting, After pushing it up the inclining car park and letting me roll whilst I pump the accelerator and do various things with the keys and clutch only to fail and repeat pushing her back up the car park again to let me go and do it all again when she failed again (!!). Needless to say it failed. AGAIN. About an hour later, drenched, fed up and in need of a pint we left car in pub car park and proceeded to pub. Good night was had by all.

On returning to car with Daddy the next day, would Beryl start?

Nope.

Thankfully Iver MOT place was ten minutes drive from there and we dropped keys off with the strict instructions to fix it. They have. It was the foot pump (?) and it wasn't injecting petrol to the engine blah de blah it wasn't the huge puddles I drove through blah de blah gobbledygook etc etc...
£207 later she is at home and well. On the plus side though, they did fix my central locking system for which I am eternally grateful. One button and I can get everyone in the car!! yay!

What a palaver!

No comments: