Monday 4 May 2009

Twilight



I think I have a bit of an obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to books and films, I always watch and read the same books over and over again. I recently just got into this Twilight fad. ARGH!!! Bane of my existence. I am re-reading the entire series of books again for like the fifth time? I only got them two months ago!! Plus the film ahs been released on DVD so it is constantly playing in the background in my room!!

Mind you on reflection, 70% of book obsessions are in fact to do with topics that are out of this world. Twilight is about vampires and my other continuing obsession is Harry Potter. Wizards and vampires do not exost yet the appeal to me is absolute. I do not get it. I do not get me. Regardless I am going to blog my little heart about my current obsession....

The book/film critque of Twilight....

As with all problems with books being turned into films, there is never enough time to fit in all the little details that made the book great like developing the slow moving relationship between characters. You don’t get to meet the character and to learn to know them. You are constantly aware that time is short and is forced into a breakneck speed. This is the same case for Twilight.
The book has some wicked and witty human traits picked out by the author and used subtly throughout the book. The human observations are marvellous. You believe they are real characters. In the film, of course, we cannot get this. The awkward relationship between Bella and her dad, Charlie, the more-a-friend-than-a-mother/daughter relationship between Bella and her mom, the shaky start to Edward and Bella’s love followed by the growing sizzling romance... this is integral to the plot. It is why Bella goes off knowing she is likely to die to meet the tracker vampire James- to protect her mom, why she feels so bad about saying things to hurt Charlie in order to save him and why she loves Edward so much she does not want Edward to be distroyed by James from anger at her death. From what we can tell in the movie- it seems out of the blue. There is no real explanation. I think it is a film made for the fans who can fill in the spaces with their knowledge in the book.

(However having said that, a mate at work went and saw this film never having read the books and loved every minute of the film, saying it was one of the most romantic films she ever saw rating it up there with Brokeback Mountain- which incidentally I hate.)

BUT having said this I did get a kick out of the use of pepper can spray/fiddling with his rifle before meeting Edward as Bella’s “date” as a vehicle to show how protective Charlie really is over his daughter. It was humorous.

I was a little disappointed about the visual display of the vampire’s special abilities like Edward’s mind reading and Alice’s seeing the future. It was always hinted at but it was not used to the best of its ability. It would have inflated the plot and bolstered the relationships between the characters especially when Edward is spying on Bella through her friends’ minds.Now I did love the set.

The forest, the green beauty versus the damp descending dizzle. I liked it a lot. The meadow scene was gorgeous. The conflict within Bella for her love of Phoenix (hot and sunny) to Fork which is basically the American version of the north of Britain is not demonstrated very well. But I can overlook that because of the beauty of the scenery. It appeals to the treehugger in me!!

The stylisation of the movie was great. These perfect creatures are aloof and beautiful. The lighting was tremendous. From watching the behind the scenes section on the DVD I saw how they filmed it and how it was changed. The way it has been changed makes the film. The contrast of light and dark, green and grey. It is a far cry from other vampire movies. I also loved how they included a shot in the film that looked like the book cover (to hands holding out an apple). It was a lovely touch.

I love Jacob- I am looking forward to the natural grace and depth he introduced in this film. It was understated, not over thought.

Edward- I am in love with Rob Pattinson like every other female teenager in the Western world! Not only can he act and is gorgeously beautiful, but he is a musical genius. He added to the sound track- which was immense anyway because it had Muse on it... but Jeez... he is the best thing since- well I was going to say sliced bread- but for me it is the introduction of tea in Britain by Catherine De Braganza in the reign of Charles II. The Soundtrack is truly terrific!! Damn... I definitely need more realistic love expectations...

Overall, an obsession worth having... fab film viewing for two hours and a great gripping read.

3 comments:

Old Fogey said...

NSSM - I think one of the reasons we read and re-read books, and obsess on particular films, is because the world they portray is one we feel comfortable in. Where we'd like to live. There's something consoling there. Is it something too about being clear where we are, clear rules of right and wrong? The world of Harry Potter is just such a world.
OF

The Not-so-Spotless Mind said...

Yes, OF! You have nailed it on the head. I was just thinking at work (whilst a wee bit bored) why I obsessed about books and films the way I do- I think I came to the same conclusion but not as articulate!

Meg said...

I love Twilight! And England.

Thanks for your comments on my blogs. I found Windsor to be gorgeous (though the weather was crazy the day I was there--rain, sun, rain, sun). I was a bit miffed that Lizzie didn't invite me in for tea, though. Must not have been in residence!