Monday 1 February 2010

And this month's theme is "RETRENCHMENT"


Ok, I failed.


Not to sound defeatist but I kinda failed, didn't I, on the blogging front?


Hmm, my humblest apologies.


However I am setting out to remedy that!! Aha yes I sure am!


It is a depressing state to be beginning the month still with that most hated monetary symbol ever to grace the ATM's screen- that dratted minus sign. Yup. So apart from cussing rather loudly in Bury St. Edmunds' high street on Sunday and scaring one lil old lady with wheelie shopping trolley I think I have dealt with it in a positive manner since. This new positivity (and believe me its hard to be positive for too long- I find in Britain that the sarcasm in humour and that belittling inherent in English culture does make it hard to keep that firm upper lip) so anyway this new positivity is standing me in good stead! I am saying yes, shit you have got no money but you are the one that spent and it is you who is going to be tightening that already tight belt. So voila. I am.


Retrenchment.


Funny that when I posted this title as a statement on Facebook that people wouldn't necessarily know what 'retrenchment' means. I then realised that I did spend most of my teenage years in my bedroom reading- Jane Austen, history books about 19th century politics and random crap that has weird words no longer used these days. So it is unsurprising that the cooler souls of my generation would not know this word. It throws into light my quirky little life 15-18 years :) I liked it, but I do come out with some awful shite sometimes!!


So it is with a quote from Jane Austen that I end this blog, apt I think:


"They must retrench; that did not admit of a doubt. But she [Lady Russell] was very anxious to have it done with the least possible pain to him [Sir Walter] and Elizabeth. She drew up plans of economy, she made exact calculations, and she did what nobody else thought of doing: she consulted Anne... 'If we can persuade your father to all this,' said Lady Russell, looking over her paper, 'much may be done. If he will adopt these regulations, in seven years he will be clear; and I hope we may be able to convince him and Elizabeth that Kellynch Hall has a respectability in itself which cannot be affected by reductions...'" (Persuasion)


No comments: