Wednesday 3 February 2010

Daily Mail Review: The Pope and Intolerance


Now, I do not profess to like reading the Daily Mail or adhering to any of its statements/beliefs. However, it is an established purchase in this house for its double pull out section of puzzles. My mother is addicted to Sudoku- I am damned I ever got her into those!! I never get a look in now!


So anyway. She buys the Mail everyday for the puzzle pullout and casts aside the paper. I picked it up whilst chewing over my pasta salad for lunch whilst she proceeded to complete three sudokus and a crossword in her hour lunch break. Hot-Diggy-Duh-Dog she's fast!


Today I found two things, not just in the Mail, but also in the news and other newspapers too. The first one is the Pope's statement against the Equality Bill being processed through government at the minute. See Here. It is against "natural law" of the Christian faith. Humph. I am none to pleased with this. As a severely lapsed Catholic-cum-Agnostic-verging-on-Atheist I am not surprised I find myself in this vacuum of faith. I find it just appalling that such intolerance exists at high level institutions that provide a social and moral ethic code for people. Religious attendance isn't what it once was and looking at what the Pope said today, is there really any wonder?


What happened to all the acceptance and forgiveness preached in the New Testament huh? Seems that applies only to a certain section of society. The right section. Hardly seems fair some how. Times change, society changes and religion has to adapt to that. It has changed its stance so many times over so many things- do not get me even started on that!! The Bible is a historical text of sabotage and patriarchal and often misogynistic control anyway, but as the standard laws for the Christian faith it is the foundation and it does have (especially the second half) the assertion that a good Christian should be compassionate and understanding?? Go figure, huh? Maybe once you get to wear the robes you finally understand the hypocrisy.


Anyway, off my soap box. Church- just get with the times, or be gone in time.

No comments: