Wednesday 7 April 2010

Film Review: Alice In Wonderland


I went to the cinema for the first time in AGESSSSS to see in 3D Alice in Wonderland, the latest Tim Burton/Johnny Depp/Helena Bonham-Carter team up.


It was IMMENSE despite some of the negative feedback it has received. I believe on IMDB.com one person has called it "the most generic and heartless Tim Burton movie since Planet of the Apes". OUCH! I am a huge Tim Burton fan and an even bigger Johnny Depp fan. In addition as lady crushes go, Helena Bonham-Carter is a hotty (Mainly due to her work in A Room with a View, Howard's End and Bellatrix in Harry Potter to be quite frank!!) SO despite the love going on there, as quality of films go, in short, I was not expecting a helluva lot from this movie. The tide of criticism was as high as the white cliffs of Dover from some people who are even bigger fans of Burton than me... HOWEVER. I was completely blown away by it. I really loved it and I will be purchasing it on DVD when it comes out!


A stellar British cast was involved including Barbara Windsor as the doormouse (Peggy from Eastenders for those commoners who do not know her for her Carry On movies), Stephen Fry as the Cheshire Cat (I bloody love that man!), Helena Bonham-Carter- of course-playing the Red Queen, Alan Rickman as the blue Caterpillar- I could recognise that man's sexy voice a mile off, and Matt Lucas playing both Tweedledum and Tweedledee.


We also have Anne Hathaway as the White Queen with some weird hand/interpretive dance gestures going on, Johnny Depp (phwoar) as the Mad Hatter with a pretty fabulous dance at the end (FACTOID: Hatters often when mad 18th/19th century; it was the mercury they used in the hat making process that had psychotic side-effects and often altered their hair colour, so Depp's exotic hair colour is not too far from the truth.)


As character's go, they were well developed for a big blockbuster. Depp played at times a deep and sensitive Mad Hatter; Helena Bonham-Carter as a "Just Wants To Be Loved" evil character- insecure and in deep need of psychiatric help; Alice was the nuts though. Played by Mia Wasikowska, a newbie to me as an actress, Alice came to life. She was a character that you could invest in... well emotionally I guess but then I think that maybe a bit too exaggerated, but because you believe her to be a real character with charm, wit and smarts that you kinda get involved with her working out the plot of the dream/world she is in. I read a review on a fellow blogger's site and she kinda nails it. There are no good, strong heroines out there in films or in books at the moment. There is a deficit of female gumption, as Eli Wallach's character (Arthur) puts it in The Holiday to Kate Winslet (Iris). Great film by the way if you want to see a great chick flick.


This lack of female strength and being a bit flimsy is kind of inherent at the moment in life, but Alice has managed to claw back some ground previously lost. I know I do go on a lot about femaleness and feminism and just the need to prove ourselves (of which my mam says to me I push too far and alienate people- which again may be true- but I shall avoid the delving into my deepest character flaws to another time) but there is just such a lack of gumption, and I really can't find a better word for it, that we really do need to alter.


BACK TO A LIGHTER NOTE! Artistically the film was a triumph. Absolutely stunning. I never got to see Avatar but I can imagine what it would have been like. Wearing the fifth-time-hand-me-down 3D glasses and eating jelly tots and 'lips and teeth' sweets whilst swigging Pepsi I had a thoroughly great time. Of course, the company really made the day *hugs*. The film was just the icing as they say, but of course any day with Johnny Depp is, by far, a wonderful day well spent :)


From "Poundlund" to free parking (always a bonus for the newly initiated driver) what an immense day. Epic triumph in sort. Slough didn't let us down :) Yay!
PS. Also a shout out to the costume designer- amazing!! Just Alice's dresses were fabulously thought out alone!!

No comments: