Monday 12 April 2010

Something of a National Identity Crisis?!



Spurred on my receiving yet another amazing gift from my Japanese pen-pal (this time the most beautiful book ever of photographic views of Japan and all written in English- so no need to bust out the ye olde Japanese dictionary!) but it made me wonder: WHAT IS TRADITIONALLY ENGLISH?

Now, I am not going all BNP on you or anything, but I am generally not sure what I can send back. We are such a mish-mash of cultures, which I personally love by the way- I like being able to get decent Indian curry paste and Polish poppy-seed cake from my high street- but it throws into question whether my friend will think I am being obnoxious/weird/odd/other to send her what is technically another culture's object (for want of a better word).

Now tea is a traditional English thing, but to be honest I think Japan has enough tea leaves to be going on with. Plus I am fairly sure we still import all tea leaves from Asia. Maybe a teacup??... Tis puzzling me... And in addition to me worrying about what to send and what is appropriate, I am also concerned at the same time by delineating this some much, am I being racist? ignorant? other? I am unsure. However, I am fairly sure my mother would say I am looking too deep into this!!

I am sending her a Cadbury's 'Creme Egg' for Easter (yes, belatedly so) but I thought that was fairly iconic English item, right? I also sent her some cute, kitschy English-related Christmas trinket things along with the necessary "Mars" bar- made in mine home town SLOUGH! Yay! Give it up for Slough... or... not? I also home-made the box it went in with all manner of ice-skating polar bears and cute Christmas-decorating penguins and ballet-dancing angels. You know. Real kitsch stuff. I like that kinda stuff and I think we English do that well...

Anyhoo the problem still stands, what is English and packageable to Japan? Shall I send her the entire collected works of Jane Austen in Japanese? Dickens? A teapot? A teapot probably isn't all that travel safe by royal mail to be honest...

Well, what really got me thinking about this was reading the foreword of the book I was sent. It is written by the fashion designer Kenzo Takada, and really highlights how he found his own national identity whilst in Paris, so maybe I should take myself off somewhere and find what is typically British or English... that would be nice, eh? :)

So this is a part of what he says: "2005 marks the fortieth year since I left for France to try my hand in the fashion world. At the time, I doubt I really gave much thought to Japan's traditions or the country's culture. Of course, Japanese culture has, like a cut diamond, many wonderful facets... Strangely enough, it was only after I had started living in Paris that I came to realise the value of Japan's traditional culture. When I had my first show as a designer and began thinking about who I was and what I was doing, I came to the conclusion that my identity lay in my home country, Japan, and in Asia."

I don't see myself as "European" as Kenzo locates himself not only within his country's borders but within his land, although some might, but I do consider myself as British but short of sending chicken tikka masala, fish and chips or bubble-and-squeak, or even alternatively some chintzy cushion covers, I am abashed at how to reply. However, as an aside, I think as a people, the British suffer severely from Island syndrome. We are part of the continent yet physically not really.

In addition, Masayo (my friend) always sends me the most amazing cards and letterheads ever! I mean really nice. Even in Paperchase and other fine stationary-related places I have been unable to find writing stuff to parallel this!! When I have a functioning camera again I shall be taking pictures of it all for you!! Please let me know of anywhere good to get great writing paper!!

And running simultaneously to this self/national identity crisis I/we are having, I am reading about Queen Victoria and how she made the national identity by being a passive female, yet a strong ruler and combining different levels of her own identity to fit in within that of society's and at the same time influence it. With that I am also looking into the Great Exhibition of 1851- I would love to go back and see this in the flesh; I think it would have been truly amazing! The Great Exhibition was about promoting market competition, providing 'rational recreation' for the masses i.e. education, it was to show off the best of what Britain and its colonies had to offer, to promote world peace (enter Miss World) and help all nations to follow Britain's great steps to 'progress' themselves and reach the ultimate civilisation. Modest, weren't we? Lol.

The Victorians really had it nailed what they were, what they wanted and quintessentially what was British. Foreign influences were introduced as part of the everyday culture of Britain (like the Great Exhibition) but yet it was always distinctly different. Perhaps I am not as confused as I thought- despite tikka masala being invented over here and not in England, I still realise that it is really an 'Indian' dish. That 'separateness' still exists in some ways, but hopefully that irritatingly superior tone of the Great Exhibition is absent from today's discourse. In fact on a political note, I don;t think we could lead anyone to "progress" and "civilisation" now.

On an additional and ironic note, the Crimean War ended the "world peace" and international trade competition fairly rapidly after the Great Exhibition had concluded... just under 3 years I think???

However, all thoughts and ideas welcome... I am going to stop waffling. I apologise for the very extended and weird rant. I have been sitting at this computer now for 8 hours researching into "civic publicness" of Queen Victoria and perusing hundreds of The Times newspapers :)

Nighty night, looking forward to a less-confused-more-happy-bunny tomorrow!!

No comments: